Welcome to Never Stand Alone Gaming Community

Welcome to Never Stand Alone Gaming Community, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Never Stand Alone Gaming Community by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DymeDef

Will this psu be enough?

20 posts in this topic

So I'm about to sell my current computer and get a full on upgrade. The only thing is the PSU is a 750 bronze corsair. My question is will this be enough for an i7 3770k and two 760s sli-ed? The combo (a really great deal actually) comes with everything I want to get but only one 760, so the psu will do for now. But I will be upgrading to a second 760 to sli for GTA V. I'm wondering if I will need an 850 for this, or if the 750 will do.

Thanks.

Also this combo is not what I am going to buy, I might end up piecing together a better deal, but it does have all of the stuff I wanted to get in my new computer. I'm more interested in if the PSU will support 2 760s.

Thanks

What else do you have in your case? I mean, for those three components your good, assuming max-idle conditions.

i3770 is about 77W max-idle, 140.9W Max load (Toms HW)

760s idle around 11W max-idle, 160 Max Load (Toms HW)

so 460.9 is what your board+CPU+GPUs would be using under benchmark conditions. This is only a figure for a single-monitor setup though.

Now are you using one monitor or two?

Are you doing anything with the comptuer besides web browsing (of course you are, but I am kinda making a point :) ).

Any other components (DVD drive, Bluray, SD slot, lighting, water cooling, how many fans/TDP of your system, are you using any USB controllers, lit keyboard and mouse, etc). All components effect your TPR.

More than likely, 750W is good enough for any home-built, unless you are getting into liquid cooling, extensive air cooling, lighting, etc. I ONLY had to upgrade to a 850 due to my cold cathodes - but I still have only maxed out at 720W, and run below 600W most of the time, (you want to average somewhere between 30 and 70% of your total power available, as thats where PSUs hit their highest efficiency).

Thanks for the info.

The case I plan on getting will have atleast three of its six fans going depending on the mobo I get and how many of the fans will have a psu plug in instead of the little white mobo ones.

I don't plan on getting liquid cooling but will be working towards getting all 6 fans running.

Also it will be for gaming, managing my bank accounts, some light scripting (learning how to script for GTA IV and Skyrim at the moment, hoping it will help for when gta V comes out do I can make some nice scripts). I don't plan on getting into 3d modeling or animating. I also make music, but my current set up can run like 8 FLstudio apps with no problem.

So mostly just for gaming, or at least anything that will push it. Gaming and recording. I forgot I record too.

One more question. I have an i5 2500, not the K so I would need an OC program to OC. My question is, how much of a performance gain would I get in GAMING by upgrading to an i7 3770? Would OCing my 2500 be a better alternative to buying a new mobo and cpu? Just trying to make the best purchase.

And one monitor, not going to dual. I don't need two screens and my current one is 27 inches so that's no problem.

750+ bronze is more than enough

Awesome, thanks bio. Could you give me a little info on how much better the i7 3770 is than the i5 2500? I'll be looking it up when I get home but that's not for another two and a half hours. Plus I like to hear from people other than review sites. I like to hear real world experiences over controlled test experiences.

Awesome, thanks bio. Could you give me a little info on how much better the i7 3770 is than the i5 2500? I'll be looking it up when I get home but that's not for another two and a half hours. Plus I like to hear from people other than review sites. I like to hear real world experiences over controlled test experiences.

If you game only and you have the 2500k and not the basic 2500 then upgrading would be a waste of money for now

an i5 2500k is more than enough to play any games right now and will probably be good enough for the games in the next 2-3 years, since you're going to 760s , your processor will not bottleneck you GPU's. the i7 would be way netter overall for better multitasking, video editing and stuff like that

For a good comparison check this: http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-3770K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-2500K

If you game only and you have the 2500k and not the basic 2500 then upgrading would be a waste of money for now

an i5 2500k is more than enough to play any games right now and will probably be good enough for the games in the next 2-3 years, since you're going to 760s , your processor will not bottleneck you GPU's. the i7 would be way netter overall for better multitasking, video editing and stuff like that

For a good comparison check this: http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-3770K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-2500K

You're the man.

And no I sadly only have the 2500, but I heard you can overclock them with like MSI afterburner and other programs taht allow you to change CPU clock speeds. I got this 2500 and mobo for a really good deal so just skipped on the K version. Couldn't pass up an i5 2500 and Mobo for only 279.99.

So getting an i7 for gaming would be pointless? Alrighty, sounds like my upgrade will be even easier. Thanks a bunch for all the help guys.

You're the man.

And no I sadly only have the 2500, but I heard you can overclock them with like MSI afterburner and other programs taht allow you to change CPU clock speeds. I got this 2500 and mobo for a really good deal so just skipped on the K version. Couldn't pass up an i5 2500 and Mobo for only 279.99.

So getting an i7 for gaming would be pointless? Alrighty, sounds like my upgrade will be even easier. Thanks a bunch for all the help guys.

Yes an i7 is currently pointless if you're building a "gaming" rig, Keep the processor and mobo you have right now, you should invest in an SSD or get a nice Gtx 760 or even a GTX 770 since you're saving money now :P and go kill some b00bs ... oops i meant n00bs

Well, if I upgraded the cpu and mobo it was going to be a super combo, with a whole new set up. But I'm not sure if that's the route I'm going to take.

Plus if I sold my computer it would be around Christmas time so these super combos sill no longer be around, though I will have more money and there will be holiday sales. Hmmm... I'll have to think about this some

Well, if I upgraded the cpu and mobo it was going to be a super combo, with a whole new set up. But I'm not sure if that's the route I'm going to take.

Plus if I sold my computer it would be around Christmas time so these super combos sill no longer be around, though I will have more money and there will be holiday sales. Hmmm... I'll have to think about this some

Well if you plan on waiting until the holidays. I'm a member at intel retail edge and they make 2 sales per year 1 in summer and 1 in holiday season. Last sale i bought an i7 3770k for 80$ there so if there is a deal for a cpu i might be able to hook you up. of course youll have to pay the cpu,shipping and custom fees/taxes and then shipping to your place but i still believe you'll save money . the i7 with all the fees ans shipping to my place came up to 140$ so i did save shit loads of cash. and retail edge sometimes sell mobo/cpu combos

Well if you plan on waiting until the holidays. I'm a member at intel retail edge and they make 2 sales per year 1 in summer and 1 in holiday season. Last sale i bought an i7 3770k for 80$ there so if there is a deal for a cpu i might be able to hook you up. of course youll have to pay the cpu,shipping and custom fees/taxes and then shipping to your place but i still believe you'll save money . the i7 with all the fees ans shipping to my place came up to 140$ so i did save shit loads of cash. and retail edge sometimes sell mobo/cpu combos

Bro, every time you post in here you make my day. I swear, this would be fucking awesome. IF you can and would, I would be willing, i7 3770k is 320 right now. So it will likely be around 250 for the holidays, so that would still be saving money. We will see when the time comes. Thanks for the offer.

Bro, every time you post in here you make my day. I swear, this would be fucking awesome. IF you can and would, I would be willing, i7 3770k is 320 right now. So it will likely be around 250 for the holidays, so that would still be saving money. We will see when the time comes. Thanks for the offer.

Also if you work for one of their partners you can create your own account. It's pretty awesome , you take courses they give you points and you can buy stuff with those points like pc case, pc water cooler, surround sound system etc etc the site is : retailedge.intel.com Check if you can create your account . it is worth it

So I'm gonna jump in here without reading the previous comments. I have a build that's similar. 3570k and two 660 ti's, 16Gb of RAM, 1 SSD, 2 HDDs, 1 DVD Drive, and the liquid cooler. I use a Corsair AX850 Gold. Mainly because it allows me to overclock everything as much as I want. The CPU is sitting at 4.5Ghz, and both cards at 1.2Ghz. So I'd pitch a little more in and get the 850w. This way if you want to add more drives or upgrade cards, you have some buffer to overclock too. I'm trying to pool some money for an upgrade to Haswell and 770s, and I already know that I can use my 850 without problems and still get the same overclock.

Really looking forward to seeing your build.

Hey now, not all of us have time to sit and tinker getting full on LC set up while we are on leave for PTSD from having our drill Sargent shove his mustachioed face between our butt cheeks while at the same time sticking his thumb repeatedly up our asses and then down our throats. Some of us just have enough time to play 6 hours of video games and masturbate on the sly before heading to bed and crying ourselves into a lonely sleep...

What the fuck. Seriously. What the fuck have you turned this into Tbird. And Yes. Self contained liquid coolers are the "sheeeeit". I would have liked something like a Swiftech, due to it's expandable features. But who needs to water cool graphics cards. It's more for bling. And the H100i is the shit if you scrap the stock fans and get something high pressure and quiet like Silverstone AP122s or AP123s.