Welcome to Never Stand Alone Gaming Community

Welcome to Never Stand Alone Gaming Community, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Never Stand Alone Gaming Community by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DymeDef

Upgrading, looking for some info

14 posts in this topic

So I'm looking to upgrade my graphics card in some way. Here are my current specs:

i5 2500

8GB RAM

6950 2GB card

750w PSU

My question is, would I benefit more from grabbing another 6950 and crossfiring it with my current one, or should I look into getting a more powerful single card?

I kind of have a budget, I don't want to spend a ridiculous amount on another GPU. But I also am willing to spend a little more to get something worth it.

I'm curious how much better I would run games with dual 6950s or a better card by itself. And also if anyone knows of any games that do not handle crossfire well or are known to have problems.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Also maybe I should post what I want this extra power for.

I want to run skyrim on high with an ENB with the good stuff activated. I can run AO, AA, and some other features but struggle with fps in areas. I know my gpu is aging a bit, but it's not that bad of a card. I also want to be able to run GTA V at maximum when it comes out. I can run MP3 at just slightly under max detail.

Thanks for the info again.

I xfired two 6950s at one time, I was pleasantly surprised. And at $180 they're a bargain for a mid to top level card. IMO, if you have about $600 laying around, get double 7950s and crossfire those. Or go with a single, and still be well off.

I xfired two 6950s at one time, I was pleasantly surprised. And at $180 they're a bargain for a mid to top level card. IMO, if you have about $600 laying around, get double 7950s and crossfire those. Or go with a single, and still be well off.

No need to even do that. Currently you can get a 7950 for around $250. I don't think he would need two currently (considering how well they overclock).

I would go for one 7950 and sell your other card... wait I would? I mean I am... That is exactly what I'm doing. :D

If you sell your old card it will equal out to the price of buying another 6950. The benefits are that you have one powerfull card that does not generate double heat/noise/power. Also most games perform better on a single card.

Yeah when I got my current 6950 they were pretty much the best card you can get. I still feel like it's a solid card by itself, just slightly underpowered for running crazy graphics.

Seems like the best choice would be to crossfire. I don't want to fork out extra cash if I don't need to. So unless the 7970 is going to just out beast a crossfired 6950 set up I'll pass. Plus I have enough room for two 6950s but not 7970s, from what I remember they are a bit bigger.

Also I don't plan on over clocking, not right now atleast. My computer runs really well and don't feel like tinkering around with it. Plus there is a game I play that tends to not like OCed GPUs.

Thanks for the info guys, big help.

Hmm, I didn't see you post about 7950s for 250. That's actually really reasonable.

Does anyone have a comparison of these two cards? I would find it on Google but I'm at work right now and get small chances to use my phone. If not I'll just find one tonight or something, no biggie. I just want to see how much better the 7950 is than the 6950 and if running it solo would be close to what two 6950s would be.

I mean, I would rather just use one GPU (eho wouldnt) so if it's that much better maybe ill nab one and sell this thing. Can you link to the 7950 for 250? And what company makes it?

Tri-SLI titans is the only way to go. or get 2 ares IIs.

I've been reading about a lot of people having all kinds of problems with the newer Nvidia cards and their drivers. I'm kind of skeptical about getting a newer Nvidia card until I read that these troubles are in the past. This is also isolated to games I play and other games other people on the forums I use play. And also could be user related, but still...

Also Nvidia is always so much more expensive for almost an identical card to the AMD counterpart. If anything I'm starting to think about grabbing a 7950 for 250 and a dedicated PhysX Nvidia card (something real cheap, dedicated to PhysX only, nothing else).

But idk, I need to get more info on the 7950 and the new Nvidia cards.

You could hold out until September and get a 9xxx series AMD card. That's what I'm most likely going to do.

OC'ing a GPU is really simple. There's even good tutorials on what's recommended for 7950's (which is just literally pulling all the sliders up in MSI afterburner. also to put it into perspective, an OC'ed 7950 can get performance that is close to a gtx 680

[spoiler=]

This is a video to show you the power of the card.

Tri-SLI titans is the only way to go. or get 2 ares IIs.

I've been reading about a lot of people having all kinds of problems with the newer Nvidia cards and their drivers. I'm kind of skeptical about getting a newer Nvidia card until I read that these troubles are in the past. This is also isolated to games I play and other games other people on the forums I use play. And also could be user related, but still...

Also Nvidia is always so much more expensive for almost an identical card to the AMD counterpart. If anything I'm starting to think about grabbing a 7950 for 250 and a dedicated PhysX Nvidia card (something real cheap, dedicated to PhysX only, nothing else).

But idk, I need to get more info on the 7950 and the new Nvidia cards.

I have 2x 780 gtx and didn't have a single issue with drivers or anything

I'm seriously considering getting a 9xxx series with my income tax return. I'll also be adding I think an H100, and another monitor. All things considered, I'm not really too enthused about where next-gen console gaming is going, and will just opt to go full PC-gamer.

Now, as for the second monitor, I have not decided. I really love the monitor I have now, but the screen reflects WAY too easily. Probably an Asus or something comparable.

BenQ, Asus, Samsung, LG, Dell, Acer, and any of the Korean IPS makers (they are all the same pretty much) Are pretty much the go-to guys for monitors.

I have a 1600x900 AOC monitor and a secondary 1600x1200 Samsung Syncmaster monitor. I need to get some proper resolution monitors but I don't really have the money...

Thanks for that link Bio. Thinking about just swooping a single 79xx card.

Also I have a 27" Samsung monitor that is really good. Only problem is its stuck at 1080 res max, but from what I hear some games don't scale all that well after 1080. Still want to get a better monitor but I have zero problems with mine.

I'm pretty much sold on running the higher end single card instead of two less powerful cards because of many users complaining about microstuttering. I get this in another game I play with my single card (the game is beyond poorly optimized) and it's annoying, I don't want that in other games. Plus I can always get a bigger mobo and crossfire the 79xx later on down the road.

Again, thanks for all the info guys. Hearts can you link the 7950 you saw for 250? Thanks